Northwest Indiana's Premier Supplier of Building Components and Trusses

Northwest Indiana's Premier Supplier of Building Components and Trusses

Northwest Indiana's Premier Supplier of Building Components and TrussesNorthwest Indiana's Premier Supplier of Building Components and TrussesNorthwest Indiana's Premier Supplier of Building Components and Trusses

Since 1936

image2

History

Neil  and Johanna Kaper moved to DeMotte in 1934 in search of better times.  Neil hauled livestock to Chicago for a couple of years, and in 1936 he  bought a small business which sold used lumber and livestock feed. Neil  later moved the business from Dutch Corners, three miles west of  DeMotte, to a downtown location next to his own home. 


The  livestock feed business was sold to Bud Belstra in 1954, and is a  thriving business yet today. Meanwhile, Neil concentrated on the lumber  business by bringing in new materials to supplement the used lumber. The  last load of used lumber came into the yard at Kaper's in 1964. In  1963, Neil sold the lumber business to sons Bob and Bill. Over the next  30 years, the company's direction became more focused on the  professional contractor trade, and the company grew. Disaster struck on  January 13, 1984 when fire destroyed the offices, store, and display  rooms. Bob and Bill rebuilt the facility and continued to expand Kaper's  business with residential and commercial contractors, creating what has  become one of the largest building material suppliers in northwest  Indiana today. 

Promote current deals

Share the big news

Display their FAQs